Photo taken at the Whole Hog Extravaganza. ©Ken Goodman Photography.
Before I ever met Patrick Martin personally, I was avid reader of his blog chronicling the blood, sweat, and tears involved in leaving his job in the financial industry and opening the original Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint in Nolensville, Tennessee. Martin’s set the current standard for western Tennessee-style whole hog and if you ever visit, you have to order the Redneck Taco, featuring pulled pork, slaw, and spicy sauce on a hoe cake. Barbecue aside, the most compelling thing about Patrick is his devotion to his family – wife, Martha, and children, Wyatt, Daisy, and Walker – and his circle of friends.
1. Travel destination: Islamorada, Florida. Been going there since I was a kid; a lot of great memories. Holds a special place in my heart.
2. Drink of choice: Wine. Depending on the time of year – a good, chilled glass or rosé, or a big, earthy red Zin.
3. Favorite pie: My mom’s strawberry pie. Hands down.
4. Best gift: My grandfather gave me his 1952 Belgium “Sweet 16” shotgun. He was an avid quail hunter, and I am, too. I look forward to passing it down to my sons.
5. I admire: My dad. I’ve yet to meet anyone with as much character. Always doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.
6. Barbecue joint I’d like to visit: Pappy’s in St. Louis … love Mike Emerson! He’s an incredibly nice and humble guy.
7. Words I live by: “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” ~ Vince Lombardi
The One-7 features our friends, partners, and people whom we admire, and provides a little insight into their worlds.
Follow our adventures in real time on Instagram and Twitter.
See lots of entertaining and barbecue ideas on our Pinterest boards.
And we post fun things on Facebook, too!