Before I ever met Patrick Martin personally, I was avid reader of his blog chronicling the blood, sweat, and tears involved in leaving his job in the financial industry and opening the original Martin’s Bar-B-Que Joint in Nolensville, Tennessee. Martin’s set the current standard for western Tennessee-style whole hog and if you ever visit, you have to order the Redneck Taco, featuring pulled pork, slaw, and spicy sauce on a hoe cake. Barbecue aside, the most compelling thing about Patrick is his devotion to his family – wife, Martha, and children, Wyatt, Daisy, and Walker – and his circle of friends.
1. Travel destination: Islamorada, Florida. Been going there since I was a kid; a lot of great memories. Holds a special place in my heart.
2. Drink of choice: Wine. Depending on the time of year – a good, chilled glass or rosé, or a big, earthy red Zin.
3. Favorite pie: My mom’s strawberry pie. Hands down.
4. Best gift: My grandfather gave me his 1952 Belgium “Sweet 16″ shotgun. He was an avid quail hunter, and I am, too. I look forward to passing it down to my sons.
5. I admire: My dad. I’ve yet to meet anyone with as much character. Always doing the right thing, even when no one is looking.
6. Barbecue joint I’d like to visit: Pappy’s in St. Louis … love Mike Emerson! He’s an incredibly nice and humble guy.
7. Words I live by: “It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” ~ Vince Lombardi
The One-7 features our friends, partners, and people whom we admire, and provides a little insight into their worlds.